View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2021, 06:19 PM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

many a time I have been blown to the other side of the lane, in fact that happens alot.
but only rarely have I been blown completely off the road ! BUT I have been !
and it's no picnic... I didn't go down but the bike and I took a beating on the medium between lanes in the freeway...
as was pointed out Wind isn't a factor when I ride either. the rain,snow or extream heat will stop me now.... never did before, but I am retired now and I don't have to ride unless I want to !
we have extream winds here and I do mean extream ! I have seen 97 mph winds here and the weather man said just strong winds....it's not uncommon to see 60mph winds here but most of the time their fairly constant...not gusty it's the gusty winds that will get you ! I was riding one time from Las vegas to Reno on a Kawasaki 100cc 2 stroke
and got hit by strong winds and sand by the time I got where I was going I was so tired that I almost collapsed ! that wind made the ride miserable and in places it was quite gusty.... I had changed lanes several times and I realised I shouldn't be on the bike !
as the road was only 2 lane ! one going north and one going south but trafic was so light I was lucky to see a car every hour...
that light bike did not like the wind !
fast forward about 15 years I was waiting in the fast lane for the car ahead of me to pass the simi which took forever when a gust of wind hit the simi trailer and it went up on the wheels on it's left side , the car had just past his front bumper... and I was about to start passing when I saw the trailer tip up.... the driver of the truck saved it by diving into the fast lane and the wheels came back down.... and he slowed way down and signaled to get back in the slow lane I dove to the right and flashed my light at him and he didn't hesitate he came right back.... he and I were on the same page.... now doing about 45 to 50 mph I lined up with his mirror and flashed my light and pored the coal to the bike and passed him real fast .... he took the next exit and parked it. but that fella had his hands full for a minute ! ....
the smart thing to do when driving in the wind is be aware of the trucks ! they can come get you at the least expected time.... had I decided to pass he would have ran me off the road.... or flipped the trailer right on me.... he had no other choice. !
so I made a habit of passing simi's as fast as possible from that day onward.
the older bikes had what they called a stearing dampner a pare of friction disks that went below the stearing neck of the bike, My 305 honda Dream had one , and in windy conditions I could tighten it a bit and the wind would not make me wander in my lane
it was great.... but when it was tightened you would increase your lean in the corners by alot.... it took a long time to get used to it but it was a welcome addition to the bike
I am not certain , but I would think that you could tighten the bearing lock nuts in the stem to do the same thing . if you find you are taking up the entire lane in your rides
it may well be that it is too loose !
Bob.........