View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #66
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Now you're gettin' it Ant! As you progress through practiced skills, you can relieve yourself of thinking about those honed skills, and your newly "trained instinct" can take over that job. Much like Timm's balance beam example, it comes with time and practice.

Although, from your first post and the last time we rode together, the bike is telling you something. You have the option of pushing yourself through it or pushing the bike. Ignoring the bike normally doesn't work out very well though. ijs....

From your 6, I only saw the rear of the bike slide a couple of times and we have already chatted about those concerns. I wouldn't up the pace much more until you have solved those issues.
I may have already mentioned this story but it seems worth repeating based on the comments above. I have a lot of students that get frustrated during the school saying that because they are working so hard on improving their riding skills that it feels like they are over thinking things and in essence going slower. This may be true but it is necessary in order to go faster.

To up your pace you must work on specific skills at specific times in order to push through your current riding ability and improve. You have to try new things and put in effort. This effort requires you to think about and analyze things. But there comes a time when you must clear your mind and just ride and that is where all your hard work and analytical thinking will pay off. Your new skills will become instinctual and you will find that riding zone.

When I was trying to qualify for my very first AMA race I was WAY WAY off pace and certain riders were trying to make it very clear to me that they didn't want me on the track. I was super frustrated with myself and wanted to quit but I called Keith Code after each practice session and we worked through my problems and chose ONE specific thing to work on during each practice session. My times continued to drop steadily but come qualifying I still needed a good 3 seconds in order to make it. I called Keith. "what do I work on?" I asked.

"Just ride." he said. He went on to say that this was my dream, to race an AMA race and that all the practice and effort and coaching time and studying time came down to this moment. I had already put in the hard work and now it was time to just ride. So I did. I told myself to have fun, I reminded myself to be relaxed and to enjoy it. I put my head down and I just rode. I felt like I went slower.

When I came in I was disappointed, thinking that I had gone slower but my crew was beaming. You found 3 seconds they said and I qualified 44 on the grid (last spot) out of about 56 riders that were trying. I found the zone.

I do similar exercises with my students if they hit a wall during coaching where they feel like they are over-thinking everything. I tell them to do one lap where they think about EVERYTHING they are trying to accomplish and do correctly and then after that, think about NOTHING for the rest of the season. Works wonders. I even wrote an article about one of my best student turn-arounds which you can read here:

There is also an article about being IN THE ZONE HERE:

Put in the hard work, then...Just ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBazz View Post
I have to say, this forum is living up to it's claim of "the friendliest Kawasaki Ninja 300/250R site on the net." . I've seen discussions like this escalate rather quickly on other sites

Good to see the well thought out responses and a real passion for riding safe and fast.
Totally. LOVE IT!!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.