View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #166
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I think there's something to be done about corner-entry first before addressing this exit roll-on. Abrupt roll-off mid-corner would tend to indicate something got messed up on corner entry. Combined with earlier comments about cornering too slowly and making up for it with too much throttle. I suspect if corner-entry was cleaned-up with more consistency, there would be fewer issues with abrupt roll-off mid-corner and fewer issues with roll-on of throttle existing corner.

Mr Ryann,
I do not speak for ADouglas but as for myself, you are right. I am still relatively new to the track and have been working (see all above posts) to improve every aspect of my riding at the track. I have been riding a motorcycle since I was 20 and am now nearly 50, old habits (street riding) are hard to break. I do my best to be consistent every lap (ADouglas is much better here) but my corner entry is still far from perfect. I would love to enter the same turn at the same spot with the same vector, always at the same (or about the same) speed. I am just not there yet. I do the best I can to be right where I should be on the right line with the right entry speed but this is part of the issue for sure. The roll on mid turn, or where ever appropriate, is just the issue Adouglas was dealing with in another thread and I had commented on this with a private message.

Now I have been working out this issue in my head for the last few months and I have even sat on my bike on the stand and run thru the track in my head while having my hands, feet and butt on the bike. I see the biggest issue for me to be the unknown limit of grip for the front tire--hence the name of this thread. Let me explain. When I enter a large radius turn (to simplify the issue) with speed, the issue begins. I begin to add lean angle while maintaining enough throttle to just slowly lose speed, as the turn tightens and lean increases, but not a roll off to load the front. This is where I am worried I may be going faster than last lap and don't want to lose the front (not sure of how much load it can take). Once The bike gets to the point where I am certain I can roll on (proper slow smooth and continuous)throttle, I crack the throttle and transfer the load to the rear tire to complete the turn and accelerate away. Because of the lack of ?trust? in the front tires load capacity, usually more speed will be sacrificed than should have been and it becomes easy to want to make this up with more throttle. I know I should just get on the power earlier but the lack of experience causes hesitation waiting till I know I have reached the "safe" spot "reference point" where I know I will make the turn.

I hope that makes sense to you as I am not great at explaining thru writing. Feel free to discuss as I always want to learn and my feelings will not be hurt with anything you may point out.

Ant
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote