View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #173
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Report on Memorial day at Palmer Backwards

Captains LOG Star Date 2018-5-27.28 Palmer Mass

I had a great weekend at the Palmer Mass track the last 2 days. Since my crash in August of 2016 I have only had time to ride my bike or any bike approx. 2 hours total along with 2 track days at NYST. This is not any type of excuse (joke away if you must) just the facts leading into this past weekend. I felt that my pace prior to my crash at Palmer was in the high end of the Yellow group (intermediate). When I went to the NYST track days, my skills were really "rusty" to say the least and I not only had significant issues with learning the track but also in even getting comfortable with my bike.

Thanks to several of the people on this forum, @adouglas, AMisti, CSmith12, @DannoXYZ, @SpeedCraft, @jrshooter and @KikRox along with many others, I was able to find out why I was experiencing issues and correct them! I can not place a value on the help I have received as a member of this forum.

Back to this weekend,
Sunday was wet and cold. I have Dunlop Q3's on my bike and have no experience with these tires other than dry and hot conditions. These are the same tires I was using when I crashed in turn 7 of the Palmer track in the clockwise direction. This weekend we were going counter-clockwise and this was my first time running the track in this direction, so we have unfamiliar track and conditions. I spent most of the Sunday just doing 3 or 4 laps per session learning the new track layout and worrying about losing traction from my tires. I ran really slow laps and could not find any confidence in the bike at all since I had no experience with the tries in cold/wet conditions. I managed to figure out most of the lines well enough but still could not bring myself to keep pace with the faster guys in the yellow group. I did not have any serious "moments" but there was always a "pucker factor" every time I leaned into a turn--especially the back to back #4/5 turn a tight "S" turn with negative camber, which was now down hill, wet and cold. Again--NOT AN EXCUSE--Just the facts.

Monday started wet but soon after the riders meeting the rain stopped and the drying began. I skipped the first wet session and just sat in my truck studying a track map with my lines traced onto it and doing "mental" laps. Once I finally was able to get out onto a mostly dry/drying track, I was able to run at approx. 85% of my best pace (in the opposite direction) from before my crash. This was a major accomplishment for me and actually exceeded my goal's for this trip! Looking back onto the issues I had experienced at NYST I had not expected to do really well this weekend since I had still not been able to get in any seat time as practice. There is also another reason for me to consider this trip a success.

I had a couple of issues during the weekend which had me second guessing myself and adding to my lack of confidence. When I first started lapping a little faster on the first day, I noticed that the steering on my bike seemed to get really heavy and the bike did not want to turn anymore at some point. When exiting turn 7 (from opposite direction) there is an up hill with a turn just past the crest. I set for the turn early run up the hill and as I turned the momentum pulled me a little wider than I expected. I was drifting out towards the grass on the right ride of the track. I did not target fixate, I looked where I wanted to go and consciously pushed the left bar forward and pulled the right but the bike did not seem to come back as I would expect. I guessed that I must have just "fought" myself pushing on both bars and just not realizing it (counted it as an "SR"). Once the track fully dried out and heated up, I experienced similar issues when at near full lean trying to turn in more. I was unable to touch my knee down even when trying. The downhill scary turn 4/5 from Sunday was easily accomplished in third but as I tightened up the turn to hit the exit apex I still could not get the bike to turn more without lowering my body/dropping my head and shoulders further than normal. There were several other spots where I noticed this type of behavior but just marked it down as "SR'S" in my brain--Untill!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once home, my wife came out to help me get the bike off of the truck and commented "why is your tire so flat?". I explained to her how I had slowly lowered the pressure down to 28PSI as my pace increased during the day. She said I did not understand and said the tire looked like a V not round like normal! I looked closely and the center tread was still nearly new depth yet from edge of the center to approx. 3/4" from the outer edge of the tire, the tread depth was less than 1/4"!! During the Palmer trip when I crashed, NYST and now Palmer reverse, I had worn down the tire to the point that when I was leaned over I could not go any further. This explains all my observed issues. #1 why the steering felt great then got heavy #2 why I could not further tighten turns, #3 why I could almost but not quite get my knee to touch!! New rubber should fix all these issues.

So I have now Babbled on for multiple paragraphs and should wrap it up. Studying the track map was the most critical thing I did all weekend. Knowing my lines allowed me to focus on finding the best reference points. Once I had all the reference points I needed to run full laps I was able to fine tune my riding from them and have a great day VS stumbling my way around the track trying to figure things out.

Please discuss, comment or even criticize for all to learn and benefit
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote