View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:11 PM   #193
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

What I learned

So here is the update I promised. I have looked back at the last few track trips and below are my thoughts on what I am doing wrong and possibly right. As always, please feel free to comment and advise me, I don't take criticism badly so be a frank and honest as you like and let me know what you think.

#1 Anyone who has survived reading this entire thread has heard me talking about rolling on in turns. I have realized that I need to work on this a lot. First off, I began rolling on much earlier this past season and I still need to start earlier. This also means my braking is wrong since I am slowing/decelerating way too far into the turn. I am not talking about trail braking or even slightly dragging the brakes to keep the forks compressed to help turning. This is an SR 100% and I believe it is actually more dangerous to load the front for so long and so much rather than begin rolling on and balance the load between the 2 wheels. I had a talented young lady on an RC 390 zip past me into a turn way faster than I ever had so next lap I started to roll on earlier. This made me have to brake earlier to set entry speed and be off the binders so I could slowly add throttle earlier. This made the bike turn much easier and slight changes in throttle kept me inline for the apex, not brakes and throttle variations. I did have a little scare past the apex as it is a blind uphill and with the faster exit speed, once over the top of the hill still turning left, the track got really skinny really fast. I had to adjust my line not to run off the track. This leads me to the second part of my 1st problem: When I was finally rolling on, I was not rolling on fast enough. I had a crash a few years ago due to applying too much throttle (way) too fast. This time I was just rolling on too slow. When I first open the throttle now, I am smooth, slow and cautious. Once I get the bike past the inertia moment, my continued roll on is too slow and I never reach full throttle. (more on full throttle later) There is also a small issue with finishing the corner with the power on but I believe this may be cured or at least get better with offset tripple clamps. This is a must have for track riding with most Ducati Super bikes. With the bike over but not at max lean, I need to add throttle about 10-15% faster than I have been. I also has a few SR's with backing off the throttle but I am working on that. Once the bike is upright or at least 80% vertical, I have not been increasing the rate of throttle application. Exiting the turn onto the straight I should be rolling it to the stops and clicking thru the gears but I find my throttle hand just continues the slow roll from before the apex. Not only do I not hit max throttle but I have been shifting at 8-9,000RPM. There is no need to bounce the motor of the rev limiter but I need to get it moving faster sooner.

Over the last couple of track trips, I have realized a few of the problems I have been experiencing are all caused by my throttle application. I seem to be OK on the brakes and leaning and lines are good but getting the throttle sorted out looks like the next big step.

This next season I am planning on being in much better shape so I don't get tired out as soon. I am also planning on spending more time on the race track practicing what I have learned and I want to do more street riding just to keep the muscle memory sharp.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote