View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2018, 09:03 AM   #194
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
There are a few things in there that seem to be at odds with one another. Taken as a whole, though, it sounds like you're having trouble working towards an overall flow. This was the big advance I made this year. As you know I'm chronically timid with the throttle, but I started looking at it a bit differently and started thinking about what I'm trying to accomplish.

At the start of your post you're describing charging the turns, rather than carrying speed (that's why Cassie -- or it might have been Lea -- on that RC390 blew past you... that and the fact that both are darned good riders).

Remember the back-straight braking exercise from Mid-O? Remember the no-brake drill? I've been thinking a lot about both recently. Getting your speed set right by choosing your brake marker correctly in the first place sets you up for success throughout the remainder of the turn. Too often I find myself over-slowing, killing my momentum and trying to make up for it. It all gets back to the confidence thing... having the confidence that you can get down to the apex at the speed you've set.

When you charge the turn you start triggering SRs and that throws everything off.

You wrote a fair bit about throttle and how fast/how much you're rolling on. Rhetorical questions for consideration:

Why is that a priority for you? Is that the actual goal?

Isn't it really about arriving at tip-in at a speed where you have the confidence to make the corner perfect? Isn't it really about carrying momentum rather than killing it and pushing to get it back over and over?

Do you go faster by railing it as fast as you can down the straights and fighting to make it through the corners, or by making the whole lap flow even if you're not WFO anywhere?

You've got a very fast, very powerful bike with a metric f-ton of torque. That makes you feel fast because when you twist the happy stick it launches you like nobody's business. But that very same thing can hurt you at the other end of the straight when you need to carry speed through the corner but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Remember what we've been saying for a long time: "Sneak up on fast?" That's what this is about. Smooth, good lines, getting the flow right... that's where speed comes from, I think.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote