View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2019, 10:33 AM   #196
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Hello from beyond,
Sorry I have not been able to be active on here much lately. Life and work have conspired to keep me away but I have managed to continue to improve my riding and I have learned so much over the last year. I am still no where near the end of my journey but I have found a few things that have helped me on my way.

I managed to get out for 2 track days on Memorial day weekend. Before this trip I had been able to ride a bit on the street which I was unable to do over the previous 2 years past. I have real trouble going straight to the track after 6-7 months of no motorcycle riding. Trying to readjust my brain to the acceleration, deceleration and turning capabilities of a high performance bike after half a year of only cars in traffic made it difficult for me to get comfortable at speed on the track. Rains and cold on a few of these track days added further to my inability to get "back in the grove" and start to make progress. I also had some physical issues that were holding me back a bit and altogether these issues has me nearly dreading getting on the track some sessions. I am not trying to offer excuses writing this I am saying that I no longer have these things holding me back!

I have rebuilt my 748 Ducati as a 916 and have worked hard to set this bike up like the 999 I use for the track. I have been riding the 916 at every chance and I have high confidence in my ability and the bike. I have also been working on several related things in the car as often as possible. I will take a certain corner in my car everyday where I brake while downshifting to 2nd up to my turn in point. I release the brakes just before the turn is initiated then I aim for my reference point while slowly rolling on the gas pedal. When I do everything right, I don't have to enter any steering inputs, just hold the wheel steady, and I hit the "apex" at the end of the turn perfectly. Additional steering inputs have been an issue for me at the track and I think this has helped me figure out what I was doing wrong and to correct the problem. I also learned that I do need to slow more before the turn to make precision thru the turn possible. Another of my issues on the track was my perception that I was slowing too much then trying to make the speed up during the turn and exiting extra hard on the gas. I feel I have a better understanding of this and expect improvement at the track.

This is all I have time for right now but I hope someone who reads this will chime in with more advice or criticism so we can all discuss and learn. I also hope to have time to write a bit more about what I have learned and how I have applied it before I return to the track, then I will have even more to discuss once I get back on the track!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote