View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2019, 05:56 AM   #214
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Just a quick check in since I have so little time to be on this wonderful forum now a days. I have been working on the issues all you skilled track riders and teachers have pointed out so gracefully. I may not have much time to attend all the track days as I would like but I am trying to formulate a plan to increase the learning time each chance I get to ride on the street. Some of you know me personally so for the rest of you, I assure you that my street riding is all done at 60% or less of what I would do on the track. Most of my street riding is done on back woods farm type roads with minimal traffic and safety is my primary concern. I am NOT out there riding like a maniac risking my life nor my license so please remember this when reading what I am planning below. We are all aware that you can drag your knee on the ground at 30 mph in a parking lot and dont have to pretend you are taking the corkscrew at Laguna Seca raceway. All I am saying is that what I propose attempting below will be done safely away from other road users and mostly in the back corner of an empty parking lot.

Since I have 2 similar bikes (same geometry but different tires) I tend to leave the 999 in race trim and run the 916 on the street. The bikes have been set up as similar as possible even to the point of having the same rearsets at the same height/position and I measured the bars to assure they have the same angle and position. Ride height, rake, trail, suspension and even seat position is as close as possible to keep them as similar as possible for learning purposes. I do have a 190 Dunlop on the rear of the 999 VS the 180 Pirelli on the 916 but this will be changed shortly.

I am quickly running out of time so I will list my first "plan" and ask that you give me your thoughts and then I will adjust if necessary and add further "training" stratagies later.

#1: I have been trying to ride more in the rain. Using the limited traction provided by the wet pavement to allow me to safely find the limits of traction. I have been doing this solely on acceleration after a turn. Mostly I just go to my favorite newly paved parking lot and do a double apex around an "island" and as I lift the bike upright I practice my roll on faster and faster until I get some wheel spin. Then I try to get better acceleration with less spin. Doing this in the rain makes throttle control every important and I think will teach me more than running thru twisties at 70% speed on dry pavement.

PLEASE DISCUSS
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote