View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2019, 10:56 PM   #215
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
This is cause-and-effect issue and you're looking at working on side-effects, not actual problem. It won't relate and I suggest backing up and looking at earlier factors that's actual cause of your exit issues.

First, why wet parking-lot practice won't transfer to dry racetrack. There's HUGE difference between bike's behavior at 45mph in wet lot versus 125mph on dry track. At low wet speeds, it will be very easy to break traction. The muscle-memory you develop as far as amount of throttle-twisting and correction amounts in steering and body-english will be completely different than what's required on track at higher speed.

Other thing is lean-angle. Due to low-speeds and low-traction, you'll be leaned over 15-20 degrees max in wet lot when breaking rear traction. On track, it'll be more like 50-55 degrees. Your finely calibrated sensors, inner ears, will know. If you tune them for 15-20 degrees in wet lot, they'll be completely unfamiliar with 50-55 degrees at higher speeds (ears also detects acceleration).

Which leads us back to real cause of your issues, corner-setup and entry. As you go faster into corner by having higher top-speed on previous straight and braking later, you are still covering same exact same distances through corner, from turn-in to apex to exit, but in less time. What does that mean?

Everything that happens after turn-in must occur faster! So tip-in speed from full-upright to full-lean must happen faster in order to carve same line at faster speed. And because you're going faster around curve, you have to lean more! You have to go from full-upright to leaning more in less time than previously at lower speed. That's why you are going wide and missing your apexes. The faster you go while not leaning over faster and farther, means you'll miss apexes by more and more.

This missing apexes and going wide is why you can't get on throttle sooner and 100% by exit of corner. You feel yourself being pushed off-course with not enough room to give it more throttle. So I recommend following:

- get more track-time
- practice getting from full-upright to full-lean faster
, push harder and faster on inside bar
- practice leaning over more, you've still got another 15-20 degrees before you're at limit

The types of improvements you're after takes lots of repetition with incremental progress. Like any other sporting skill such as basketball, tennis, archery, golf, etc., it requires tonnes of practice. People don't realize that it took DECADES of practice for Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods or even Valentino Rossi to reach their skill levels. DECADES of practice, almost every single day!

So I get as much practice as possible. It takes 100-laps to make X-improvement and 200-laps to get Y-improvement. There's no shortcuts. I get in 45-50 days at track each year along with most of my racing colleagues. I chopped off 20s/lap at Thunderhill my 1st year, then 15s/lap 2nd year, 7s/lap this year. And I'm still 7s/lap off from 250 record. I may chop off 3s next year, 2s year after, and 1s year after that if I keep on going 45-50 days/year. In 5-years I may have shot at lap-record, maybe. Those who spent less time at track have made lesser improvements. I'm now 5s faster than guy that beat me in my 1st race (he only gets in 20 day@track/year). It's just matter of putting in required time and laps.

Good help is watching video "Winning" about Paul Newman! Also extremely helpful to watch others on similar bikes and slightly faster at same tracks you're visting. Note where they brake, turn-in, apex, get on throttle, etc. Get a feel for the timing, the tip-in speed, throttle-control, etc. I find it especially helpful to watch videos of guys I'm racing against!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 1st, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote