View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:32 PM   #221
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
...what is holding me back. The biggest issue is fear. We all have survival instincts that trigger in certain situations...

... I have covered the issue with not being able to hold onto the bike causing mid turn issues and I believe I have this fully sorted now. I still have to get used to trusting that the bike will turn properly but since the issue is gone this should not take long. I still don't have enough confidence in the front feel/grip level but as I slowly get used to the bike turning this should return.

... I do too much coasting and maintenance throttle. Lets take the entry to turn 4 at Palmer, an uphill right hander into a late apex 90 degree turn.

...I need to brake some then lean into this turn and apply throttle.

...Several people have pointed out that I am making all my inputs too slowly. My turn in is not fast enough and this is effecting the rest of the turn. I have been riding on the track the same way I ride on the road just faster, I need to stop being extra cautious and get more aggressive. ...

... The final Issue I have is the power of my bike. Since I don't know where the maximum level of traction is, I always roll on less than I should to prevent breaking the rear tire free or pushing the front. When I rode my wifes 250 on the Palmer track I had no issue running hard and was much better with roll on and even braking into turns. ...

... I am also planning on doing a bit of dirt bike riding which should help me practice some of these things and get used to the bike sliding and moving around under me.
Here's my observations and suggestions...

Laws of physics being what they are... bigger heavier bikes will always give less feedback and tyre "feel"... at the limit. What you describe as lack of "feel" is perfectly normal because you're not at limits of traction. What happens at limit is handlebars go numb with additional input when you're at limit; there's lack of response because tyres no longer push back since they have no more traction. On big bikes, their additional weight pushed tyres to limit and very little additional steering on bars is needed to send them over. On smaller bikes, since there's less weight, more of steering is used at limit and more kickback/feedback is present. Also when you go over limit, it's easier to catch on lighter bike.

I recommend you do more dry parking-lot practice on 250. You will learn faster tip-in, more lean-angle and better feel at limit in less time; months rather than years. This has been proven over and over again with numerous riders. Many of pro-racers have started on 250s with our AFM Racing club; maybe you've heard of Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts, etc...

Do standard gymkhana practice cone-setups: ovals with 2-cones, figure-8s with 2/3-cones, boxes with 4-cones, etc. Practice going from full-upright to full-lean quicker and quicker, while always staying in your comfort-zone so you don't trigger fear responses. That causes arm lock-ups and hanging on too tight which just makes things worse and causes negative backwards progress.

Don't worry about tyre "feel" at limit, you're trying to jump ahead too far too quickly. Get to point where you can ride up to limit without fear first, then you'll have reserve brain-capacity to take in data and process it without going into survival mode. Rossi's telemetry shows his HR is calm and steady up to and over tyre's limits, it's like he's kicking back and watching TV on sofa! Cool as cucumber!

Figure-8s are good because you practice going from full-lean on one side to full-lean on other.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Then this becomes fun instead of terrifying!

https://www.facebook.com/motogymkhana.adventures/

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 3rd, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote