View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2019, 02:05 PM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Some more things that came up in my discussions of the review with YCRS; these aren't disagreements per say so much as interesting points of discussion:

Weighting hands - YCRS advocates this, CSS advocates as little as possible. I try to minimize my weight but am prepared to take some weight, especially in the earliest phase of braking (which is also the heaviest, you want to be 'fast (but smooth) when you apply and trail out slowly as a general rule) -- while I've moved off early I still want to absorb what I can through my legs squeezing the tank -- I don't want to risk having my body move forward (which YCRS covers well in their video) and if I want to prevent that in my hands it means they have to be relatively rigid. What weight I take I try to not let past my elbows, which means I try to moderate the mix between hands and thighs. (Obviously, as you've set up early, your inside thigh will be less ideally placed but it can still do the job); by minimizing this weight I minimize the chance of the bike being unable to self-correct from any unexpected surface/traction conditions and reduce the odds of accidental steering inputs. By using them a little, I require less active effort to keep my position on the bike by squeezing the tank, which can help with stamina.

YCRS advocates transitioning across the bike with a miniature squat - I like to think about a "Hockey Hip Check" -- I get light by using my pegs but don't 'lift' in the seat (at least not too much), and then use my inside thigh as a lever point to "check" my hips to the other side (quickly & smoothly, not violently). I prefer this because if I lift in the seat then I have to almost 'reorient' to ensure I haven't accidentally rotated or moved fore/aft in the seat; it also can risk unintentional bar pressure to stabilize your upper body rather than engaging your core.

Last futzed with by Yakaru; December 4th, 2019 at 12:49 PM.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote