View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #17
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Nice setup. I've been resisting serious suspension upgrades to keep costs under control, but I think I'm going to need springs up front. I'm 220 lbs and I can feel them bottoming out on braking. On the Z, compression and rebound are much better with 20W fork oil, that I think I can get away without new fork internals.

What pressures are you running in those Dunlops and how much do you weigh?

I'm running 18/18 cold but I notice the PSI gain when hot is strangely high on this bike. PSI goes up to about 22F/24R
I am about 200 lbs without gear (need to get back in my fitness routine as I am about 10 lbs heavier than normal at the moment ). I run 17-18 lbs cold and end up at a nice 19-20lbs hot. The rear normally has to have a lb or so let out after a few sessions as it warms up through the day. I have not really experimented with it much to be honest as it seems to work ok and the tire look really good.

For the Grom, the front forks are such garbage that it was a "no brainer" to upgrade then properly. I do hear the Z is much better and can do a spring/oil job and work OK. I got my Ohlins internals for like $275 on sale and then $40 for fork tools and it was WELL WELL worth it.

The RB Mono R shock is a true pressurized IFP w/ rebound adjustment and it is quite good as well. $250 on sale. Its not as good as the fully adjustable Ohlins rear shock on my brother's Grom but its 85% for 50% of the price.

I took the Grom on a back roads street jaunt last night and I was shocked at how good of bike it is now with suspension, brakes, and tires. It really felt a bit like a cheap toy at speed all stock but now it feels like a REAL bike - just a tiny one.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote