View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No, my wife has 0 interest in riding track, but does still ride the 4wheelers and as a passenger with me on the road. Although we haven't ridden street in a couple of years now. :\

Sports and blood thinners are tricky but can be overcome much of the time. And yes, many doctors will advise you to avoid high risk sports because they don't want to aggravate the situation and keep liability down. Hell, even going to the dentist becomes an event that must be planned out. As far as that advice goes, you can always get a 2nd opinion from a sports specific doctor. I am most likely a bad example about doctors and their recommendations, but I NEVER ask my doctor for "permission" on what I "can and cannot" do. Only what I "should do and should not" do. People forget that they work for you, not the other way around. :\ How many times have you heard the doc say "you will never walk again" and is proven wrong.

You are in the company of pro basketball players, cyclists, track day riders, hikers, trail riders and so on that currently take blood thinners like warfarin and coumadin. Talk with your doc about how to manage your diet and blood levels to accommodate your lifestyle and activity needs. But imho, it is wrong of he or she to outright BAN you from an activity. It is your choice not theirs. And, your insurance problem can be overcome as well. The cost of a high risk "rider" added to a policy run about $2.50-$5.00 of premium per thousand (a rider means something different in the insurance industry).

As far as what has worked for my wife is managing the vitamin K intake via diet and staying active. As you most likely know, you have to have your levels checked every so often and stabilizing that level is the key to going forward, planning and executing your activities.

Lastly, it's ultimately on you to measure risk vs reward to complete an activity at possibly a diminished level. Such as no more racing but slower pace novice track days are ok. Possibly upgrade the gear you use; air vests, back + chest protectors and so on...

And I will be blunt here too... Perhaps you made the right choice to give it up. I am afraid Mr. Fist might be onto something when he mentions your crash frequency. With the proper mindset in place, there is no need to crash at a track day. My last record of 127 track days without incident is being challenged, I am currently at 114 days over 2.5yrs. Overall, it is 3 crashes in 7yrs of hardcore track riding and none of those crashes resulted in any significant injury. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Whatever your future holds on 2 wheels, I hope it brings a smile to your face.

EDIT: I totally forgot about bruising! Say you go to the kart track and fall. You most likely will bruise like no tomorrow from even the smallest fall. This will be be amplified by higher speeds at a big track on a bigger bike. Your biggest risks from what I know about are internal vascular issues resulting from a bone break, especially near the collarbone. The other to watch out for is a hematoma, these are the ones where a really hard impact creates bigger problems.

EDIT #2: How about doing those tracks, dare I even say it.... BY CAR? Perhaps it is time to transition from bikes to cars for your track day needs. Personally, I like the little cars on the autocross track more than the large bore cars on the big track. Give drift cars a look too! Super fun and your normally solo or in pairs out there on the skid pad.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote