Old November 19th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #10
jp8484
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Hi and welcome.

The bike really is really fun as it is. I suggest you look really closely at WHY you want to upgrade. Is it to make bike do something it CANNOT do right now?

I have two 2008 Ninja 250Rs, one race-bike and other street bike. The race-bike has practically every single upgrade on market and pretty much only stock part is frame, engine, wheels and gas tank. This bike IS faster than my street bike on racetrack. That is what the upgrades are for, to make it go 2:10 at Thunderhill; something my street bike CANNOT do.

However, my street bike is 100% stock, down to its 2007 tyres. I haven't done any upgrades to it because none of my race-bike upgrades makes sense on the street:

- I don't don't need higher top-speed of 104 vs. 96 mph
- I don't need more ground clearance because I'm not grinding off foot-pegs and exhaust
- I don't need lower clip-on bars to hide behind windscreen easier
- etc.

Maybe the first upgrade I may do is tyres, but maybe to harder more durable touring tyres. I'm not sliding the factory tyres around onramp cloverleaf @ 60mph, so I don't need tyres that'll improve that limit to 61-62mph. I might do upgrade to 15-16t front sprocket and double-bubble or Corsa windscreen for quieter riding.

So I ask you, what measurable result do you want to achieve with upgrades? As others mentioned, after you stack on certain amount of upgrades, it would've been cheaper to buy a different bike with those capabilities from factory.

BTW - "more responsive" and "more stable" around corners is contradictory. They are opposite changes from factory behavior.
Thanks for the reply JacRyann!

Question for you.. how different are the two ninjas you have? Did it change it's stock characteristics drastically?

Only upgrade that I'm really debating on is front fork springs and oil change..
Will be changing out the sprocket once I have to change the chain/sprockets are worn down bit more for maintenance. Same deal for tyres.. front tyre will have to be changed sometime next season so might as well change them both out for something stickier.

I just want to invest enough to bring out the best characteristics of the bike bit more that are dumbed down at factory stock setting. I've been reading that this bike is set to run lean for mileage and I'm not all that worried about gas cost with this bike. It's well regarded for it's flickability hence I want to be able to bring it out even more by changing some suspension setting. Only fronts though.. adjusted the sag on the rear already and not sure if I want to bother with rear.. seems fine for me as it is and not experienced enough to notice anyway. Front however.. feels really soft and dips alot. (I'm bit on the heavy side)

Stock throttle takes way too long to go WOT and constantly have to readjust grip.
Hoping sprocket change can reduce having to shift up and down all the time in city driving. Not too concerned with top speed.. if I can get more torque in lower rev.
jp8484 is offline   Reply With Quote