View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #10
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I am as happy about the little damage that you and your bike suffered as about your attitude to lean from that mishap.

Your first mistake was not paying attention to the posted signs for an unfamiliar road; that sharp turn may have had a sign and another associated to reduced speed.

Second mistake was moving faster than you could effectively stop for any surprise; that time was a curve, but it could have been a truck, car, patch of gravel or Diesel or any animal.

Once you were caught by surprise and going downhill, your only way to reduce speed quickly was using the front brake and tire, before leaning the bike and considering that there was extra weight on the front contact patch.

That extra weight due to the downhill did overloaded the contact patch when you rolled off the throttle and applied the front brake while leaned.
Extra rolling on the throttle was the way to go, if the turn itself was downhill as well.

Yes, looking as far as possible into the turn would have done two things for you: slowing down the speed that your eyes sensed and tracing the proper line; looking at that guard rail did not help in any way.

As long as you feel balanced, your lean angle is what should be for the radius of the turn and the entry speed.
Yeah I'd definitely hope to avoid a repeat of this.

I'd like to think I could have stopped for certain things but I wasn't prepared to handle a turn that sharp at speed. You were right about missing the sign, as subxero was kind enough to illustrate with Google street view.

So you think I should have kept a steady throttle, applied the front brake and then leaned the bike while adding some throttle?