View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2021, 11:42 AM   #19
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

My 250's carbs were so gunked up it would die instantly with any throttle. However, when I took it apart, it had no gunk in the bowl. Just clogged little orifices on the sides of the jets.

One time I was cleaning the carbs on a lawnmower from the 80s or 90s and what I saw in the bowl looked like crumbs of mold. Everything was stuffed with this dry dusty brownish green solid.

I use wire and spray a jet of carb cleaner. If it shoots out the other end I call it good. Also wire brush the insides carefully to get crust out. This has worked for me for as long as I've been working on small engines and carbs. About 10 years. Never once had an ultrasonic cleaner or needed one. I've also never come across a carb that needed a "rebuild kit" with all the seals. Usually just cleaning the dirt off the bowl gasket that you dropped on the ground usually gets it sealed fine. But I'm usually working on small equipment, about 95% of the time. Motorcycles do have more fleshy bits, especially bigger displacement bikes. That is where the ultrasonic cleaner might come in handy, because carb cleaner can hurt the rubber diaphragms and small o rings. But if you can't keep the spray of carb cleaner to just the jets and circuits I'd say save the time and hassle and try a shop. I hate other people screwing up my stuff though.
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote