Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2022, 02:29 PM   #49
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Very true ! but when the hole size gets to be the size of a straight pin and smaller high pressure has very little effect getting through , don't get me wrong ...compressed air is a very good tool but you still need extra curriculars activities to get these carbs really clean ... I bought a set of carb cleaning brushes from Amazon... for the Ninja but really didn't find much use for them except for cleaning the jets and such but when I got the Triumph they became indispensable ! that was the only thing I had that would clear the blockage in the idle jet in the Amal carb ( you can't take the jets out) i could not get the probe wire through on one carb but I could on the other so that told me the wire would indeed fit through the hole ! so I kept poking at it and finally felt a crunch and the wire started going through ... that was a victory I was waiting for ! I put the carbs back on and fired up the T140 and was pleasantly surprised at a idle on both cylinders ...finally.... then I put in new carbs that have removable pilot jets and got it tuned and called it done !
the ninja carbs are alot more difficult as they have a 90 degree turn going on in there.... you can't get all the way in there to clean it out with a wire.
.... and like the old Amal carbs have no way to access that area at all.
so unless you want to drill out and later plug that tiny passageway
you can't run a brush or probe straight in there .... that to me is a very POOR design....
there may well be a fix for that but I haven't found it yet... I am thinking of modifying the carbs so that passage way can be accessed and not destroy the carb in the process !
i think one side of that passage way has a plug that was put in in manufacturing... if I took that out and threaded a small screw to plug that hole afterword I could clean it real good.....
but the point is I shouldn't have to do that the idiots that designed the carb should be shot ! but... what else is new right ?
.... so the question is is it worth it? or is it easier to just send the carbs to Ducattiman who has all the equipment to clean the things correctly ?
and you get back a new set of carbs !
Bob.....