Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2022, 09:11 AM   #55
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Name: Marshall

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 2006 Triumph America

Okay so at some point today I am going to go through them. Its cold here right now in the 20s and my shop has thin walls. should be warmer around 4 this evening which gives me some time to think of where to start out fresh. I have hope. I moved back from Boston spring 2019 because of Covid and Lived in Texas for the latter part of 2019. When I moved back to Alabama from Texas in January of 2020 I was only home for 3 days before I was t-boned on my Triumph. I spent 4 months straightening it back out and doing upgrades which took 4 months or so. Because of that I never got to test whether or not my upgrades from 2019 when I left Boston that I did on those carbs worked. ie cold weather starting being a PITA. When I lived in Boston all I had was my bike and I rode it no matter the temp or weather was. it was fun! people thought I was crazy riding in the snow and sleet and such but oh well. the problem there was that someone had jetted that bike terribly and it would not start if it was 26º or below no matter what I would try. I bought it from a man in Connecticut that trailered it from Oregon in hopes of selling a couple of bikes. So when I got back to Alabama for a month in 2019 I completely went through the carbs (it was daunting because I had never touched carbs before but I actually learned a lot) since I had the workshop in hopes of better cold weather starting but I never got to really test it. 2019 winter in Texas was the winter that froze the whole state remember? so even though I was in Laredo which is deep south Texas and Monterrey, Mexico (surprisingly it does snow and get cold there) a lot it was in the 30ºs but never colder. now fast forward to today in Alabama it finally got in the low 20ºs. this is the warmest Alabama winter I have ever seen. it usually always gets down to the teens and a couple of times in the single digits. I woke up this morning and it was 23º. The bike started no problem! I was pleased! took a year and a half to finally see if my carb tuning worked but it did!

So what I am saying is that I think theres hope for this Ninja and I really want to get it on the road. If the Triumph that I used to miss work because the battery would die from only a minute of cranking will start now then the Ninja that never wanted to really start when it did run SHOULD and CAN run now! This bike means a lot to me since my grandmother bought it for me as a surprise. I'm excited now and I will update yall when I start taking the carbs apart in a bit. That was just a bit of a tangent because I was really happy to see what I thought was a cold blooded Triumph start with ease.

I do have an Antigravity AG-401 Lithium Battery 4 cell in the Triumph thats been in it since summer of 2019 so the lithium at least to me is the way to go and its TINY and has never failed me. It actually turned the engine over at full speed after 3 presses on the start button. So when I get this Ninja running it will be getting the same battery and a better pod filter.

tldr
If I could get a bike to start in below freezing temps that would never start before then we can get the Ninja running again.
marshallsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote