Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2022, 01:54 AM   #109
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Thanks Danno ! i didn't know the airscrews had different setting through the years.... ( and I thought the 2.5 turns out and 1.75 turns out were bazaar ! )
I concur with the observation that if the choke kills it it must be too rich as my bike will show no change even when warm if the choke is turned on full it may slow down a small amount but that's all.
it took me a while to get my Ninja sorted but the more I ran it the better it got
at first it only wanted to run at 3/4 throttle and above and would not idle at all
anything below 2000 rpm and it flat died.... that told me real quickly the idle circuit was plugged....which it was . after I got it to run on both cylinders
it still refused to idle but I could get it to right near 2000 rpm and hold it there. but it was still not idling... again I cleaned the carbs and I was sure they were clean in every passage way...... but unfortunately i was WRONG ! their still dirty!
although it ran passably for the last part of the summer and I got several good rides out of her as the weather turned colder the dirty carbs started to make it run worse and worse....
I fully intend on pulling the carbs in the spring time and installing some paper inline fuel filters as I really think this bike needs them and if I can't get the carbs clean this time I will send them to Ducattiman !
their such a @#$%&^ to get on and off as it is, I don't want to do it again and again !....
an easy way to tell if you have a vacuum leak at the intake boots is sprey wd-40 on them as it's running ...if you do that and it speeds up and runs better for a few seconds you got a vacuum leak ! if no change you don't.... not there anyway ! but these things have so many hoses that any one of them could be the leak your looking for so sprey everything ! but be careful it is flammable ! do it when the engine is not hot ! .... if you sprey wd-40 and you see a white cloud of vapor rize don't sprey again ! its too warm and can ignite .... but your hoses and pipes will love the wd-40 ! it will breath new life back into them....
Bob...