Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2022, 11:48 AM   #120
marshallsmith27
ninjette.org member

Name: Marshall

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 2006 Triumph America

@DannoXYZ thats a good idea. the local bike shop is family friends I will just stop by there and they will probably give me 2 new 38 slow jets. thanks for mentioning that I dont know if thats the case. probably not though since the man that bought the bike new (2006) rode it for 3 miles and put it up and then I bought it in 2011. The local bike shop got it running again. Theyre not the kind of shop that would drill out slow jets but still. I will get two new ones. the bike only has 3k-something miles on it. so I dont think the valves are out but I like all my bikes to be mechanically sound so I will check them.

About 2 months ago my Triumph started running super lean for no reason and I had to go up to 160 jets (I was running 158s before and it ran AMAZING) which no one runs in Triumphs its too high no matter what you have done to intake or exhaust and I kept trying to figure out why and about a week and a half ago on my hour rides to Birmingham my bike kept cutting in and out at highway speed. like split second dying. it would do it for 10 seconds and then quit and then start again. its that feeling of running out of gas. I was sweating the first time that it started. turns out the right intake boot has failed somewhere. one shot of starter fluid kills the bike when sprayed on the right boot.

So its understandable that I had to buy new boots for the Ninja 2 months ago. The ninja is a model year older than my Triumph. That rubber doesnt last forever. The Triumph had a hard 2 years of everyday riding in Boston though rain snow and shine.

BUT OKAY. I just got some Prestone antifreeze and a fresh bottle of starter fluid. I am going to set the valves back into the correct tolerances and go from there
marshallsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote