Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2022, 10:59 PM   #163
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I would have welded that thin gear from both sides myself grind down the high spots of the weld and call it good enough...
you actually found those gear teeth inside the engine cases too? they could well have destroyed the engine if it had been ran...
you were very smart to tear it down right then !!!
Bob....
Starter gear's on outside of engine in side case, so they were all outside of crankcase. Luckiky, they were all stuck to flywheel with its magnetism. I had no option but to open it up right away; starter was just spinning free in air!

Yup, I welded up teeth on both sides back onto gear. No grinding needed because there's plenty of clearance on both sides of gear. I wanted to avoid interfering with the mating surfaces of the teeth. Some slag did dribble over a little. Cleared that off with jeweler's file and it was good to go.

I ended up returning the replacement gear when it showed up week later. It's been 6-yrs and welded starter gear's held up just fine!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote