Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2022, 06:55 PM   #181
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

sounds like one of the vacuum lines to the carb is not hooked to vacuum
to me.... like the vacuum operated slides are not being sucked up for some reason.... although it shouldn't take a vacuum line to do that as the vacuum comes straight from the intake port to activate the throttle slides BUT they have a sort of balance tube on them Don't they Danno ? and if that's off or plugged the results might be no rev at all...
.... this is a very hard thing to diagnose at the best of times it takes a real good description of what it is doing ... saying it won't take throttle isn't good enough
what does it do when the throttle is cracked open does it slow down or speed up or a combination of both or what ?
so you got it to idle that is fantastic and half the battle is won !!!! your almost there to take heart ! you'll get this thing running yet !
do a little test for me please... start it let it warm up for about 1 minute
at idle and without any kind of air filter on it look down the back of the carburetors and try to give it throttle to rev up and see if you can see the slides moving.... if their not jumping up when you give it throttle that is your problem.....
do that and then explain in detail what it does !
changing jets and stuff at this stage is a NO-NO it will run with the stock stuff in it don't screw with changing the jets !!! ...

what I am looking for is a sogg when you give it throttle i.e. when you twist the throttle instead of reving up it gasps for air and slows down and will die
if it does that either the vacuum lines are still messed up or the carbs are still dirty.... and the extra fuel cannot get through the carb ... when throttling up
Bob....