View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
On newgens 08+, there's numeric code on ignition-switch that can be used to cut new key. I think you may have to remove ignition-switch in order to see the code.

Even without code, a good locksmith can take cylinders out of lock and make a key from that. Similar to this video. I had this done on my original VF500F 25-years ago when one and only key I had finally wore out.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Just a note that won't help this lady out. If you buy a used motorcycle and are presented with only one key. The first thing you do is take that key with two or three O.E.M. blanks (they ain't cheap) and have two or three keys cut. My 3 blanks cost me $30.00 + and cutting them cost $6.50. Use only your freshly cut keys and put the O.E.M. key you got with the bike away in a safe place. Don't use the key you got with your bike to prevent further wear and keep it as a "master" if you need a new key in the future. "A stitch in time saves nine.

Bill

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.