View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i'm going to try this one more time...

where does the tab go when it "fails" and starts to bend in your hypothetical failure?

from your description, it magically disappears. allowing the brace to rotate. this doesn't happen in real life.
Buckles in the face with the hole allowing the top to unfold flat against the swingarm and the bottom/inside to fold flat aganst it swingarm.

Fold up flat against the swingarm.

Chopping off the top and inner faces like you describe would create an L-shaped piece supporting all the weight on one suspended platform. If overloaded, a shape like that will usually bend into a V and then flatten against the surface it is attached to unless it is stronger than the structure it is attached to. That's not likely the case (both appear to be steel).

With the inner face structurally compromised, the top face can no longer share as much load with the bottom face without the inner face buckling. If this happens, both upper and lower faces can bend in a cascade if there is enough force to bend even one side. First, the top part bearing load gives as the structurally compromised connecting piece (inner face) twists. Once flattened, the full forces are now applied to the bottom face until it folds as well.

To imagine that the inner face does not transfer force to the bottom face to increase the amount of load it can take is to ignore why it isn't a simple L-shape in the first place.

I doubt this will help visualize it, but here:
Code:
	  _
	_| |_
	  _
	_| \_

_|\__

_\\__

==--_
Once again: I'm not saying that it isn't perfectly fine. I'm simply saying that I'm not an engineer and would not assume that it is perfectly fine. It's obvious to me that they scaled things back from the F-bike's rear braking setup and I trust that their engineers were comfortable going as far as they did. Perhaps they were only comfortable going that far?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote