View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2022, 10:55 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Is this bad? New battery just vented during activation.

Oh, boy… maybe I shouldn’t have got this new EverStart ES9-BS battery from the salvage store after all, since I’ll have no warranty.

https://i.imgur.com/ldAPunn.jpg

I filled it up with the included sulfuric acid electrolyte, left it sitting for over 45 minutes (manual says at least 30), and capped it off like I’m supposed to. Less than an hour ago I put it on my Schumacher 1.5 Amp fully automatic microprocessor-controlled smart charger, which is the kind where they imply you can safely leave it unattended. Even so, I wasn’t comfortable leaving it unattended, so I brought it all to my office at work where I can babysit it for 3-6 hours.

So it was on charge a half hour when I heard a “pffffff” sound like opening a carbonate beverage. I smelled the same eggy sulfur smell that I noticed when filling it with electrolyte. I don’t see any leaking and the charger still says it’s charging like normal. Should I be concerned?

I opened my office door and set up a box fan to air it out but now I won’t be able to hear if it does it again… and I do still smell it. I don’t want to get too close to inspect for bulging since I’m not wearing safety glasses. I checked the manual and there doesn’t appear to be anything about what to do if it bulges or vents. If this is normal it would tell me to expect venting, right?

The Duralast in the pic is the one I’m replacing. I went through the same process with it back in 2014 and didn’t have any issues. Is has zero miles but also 0.6 volts after being abandoned by me for several years, but it was a genuine Yuasa-produced unit like the ones Kawasaki uses. The receipt is too faded to read but I recall spending 3x as much (around $115). The EverStart one is from some Vietnamese manufacturer I haven’t identified.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote