View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:04 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
What was voltage reading before and after connecting charger?

Some chemistries are pre-charged, you add acid and watch voltage increase.
Others require charging.

Might have been some internal damage with shorted cells?
I left a fan blowing on it and took a lunch break to grab my meter. It was done charging by the time I got back, which means it finished in 3 hours or less. It measures 13.17 volts, which is good. If it does have some shorted cells I wonder if it will just result in reduced capacity or current. Wish my bike was running so I could test it with some real cold-cranking amps! Heck… I might need it to get home since a Good Samaritan might’ve fried something in the van last night and there might be a parasitic draw.

He connected jumper cables backwards when helping my brother, who locked himself out of my van. The headlights were on so the battery was dead by the time I got there. At first I had “Security” on the dash meaning the chip key wasn’t talking to the immobilizer in the Body Control Module but that went away after there was enough charge to turn it off and on again. I noticed some chimes that I’m only supposed the hear when the BCM Program fuse is removed, such as when programming your remote, and wouldn’t ya know it: my remote is no longer working.

I have yet to check fuses but I’d be surprised if reversing the polarity somehow selectively blew that one fuse that really only exists as an awkward button/switch for putting the BCM into Program mode.

The Good Samaritan was just trying to help so I hope his old Saab is OK… just some kid working at Hobby Lobby. When he asked me if he had it right I wheeled around to see both clamps on a battery with nothing red and no positive mark anywhere. I couldn’t immediately see the negative mark either so I pointed out that the side with the attachments like fuses and disconnects is usually positive… so he had it backwards. Yikes! It had probably been that way for 15 seconds or more, depending on how long it was before he asked.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote