View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Sounds awesome, I've gotten the chance to ride a lot of different bikes (albeit at the track) over the years. The 1000s have never failed to leave a smile on my face with how ridiculous they are.

From a technique standpoint, the technique of riding a sportbike/streetbike is the same regardless of the bike. What changes is the degree of application. What this means is that with the throttle and brakes on a ninja 250 you can be very aggressive and the bike won't do much. It will let you get away with many sloppy inputs simply because the engine and braking system are lower powered. What this means when switching to riding a much more powerful machine like an R1 is that you need to be much more conscientious and precise with your inputs. Opening the throttle halfway and releasing the clutch quickly from a stop on a 250 will just result in the front becoming a little light and the bike continuing on without any fuss. The same input on an R1 will likely result in an accidental wheelie. The same concept applies to the brakes, steering will be heavier and more stable which is nice for street riding. Remember that you don't have the crazy electronics of modern bikes to rely on as well, the bike will do exactly what you tell it to and won't say no if you tell it to do too much.

TL;DR Focus on your inputs with the bike and you will become used to how much more sensitive the bike is to throttle and braking inputs before you know it