View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:54 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

interesting !.....
I put the carb on and fought the gas tank and finally got the 2 lines under the tank connected and then hooked up the battery and tried to start it.... no fire at all
gave it a shot of quick start and it fired right up for a second then died...
so I decided that the carb had to come off again as it was not getting fuel
... pulled the carb again and took off the float bowl and I found the problem immediately
the float arangement was bent in such a way as to not alow any gas in to the bowl
so I fixed that and in the process i lost the float needle it was on the tang and then it wasn't.... and I was watching it when I turned it over and it was like it dissapeared
all of a sudden I looked for over an hour ..figuring i had just dropped it but I could not find it anywhere... I widened my search and still no luck.... so I took the one out of the original carb and put it in the bigger carb and put it back together
.... the problem with the float was that they had rivited a aluminum tab onto the float but the aluminum tab only had one side attached and it was slightly bent so I un bent it and pushed it down onto the tabs of plastic where it was supposed to be and used my soldering iron to melt the tabs into place.... so the problem was cured.
I put the carb back on and gave it a shot of quick start turned on the gas and tapped the carb float bowl a few times with the screw driver handle and I could see no leaks...
turned the key on and hit the starter button and it fired right up...
died when I gave it throttle so I started it again.... died when I gave it throttle again
so I turned on the choke... started it again and it idled at a faster RPM and ran fine
turned off the choke and the RPM was so low it almost died so I increased the Idle a bit
opened the throttle a little and it died again....
it still wasn't warm but it looks like I need to do alot of adjusting to get this thing to run right .... but it is idling good with the choke on !...
it's below 30deg. out there so I called it quits and came in the warm house !
I think it's working but we will see if I can get it to take throttle or not...
Bob.......