Old August 4th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #69
johnydecali
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hi John,

Will you notice? Sure but "how much" you notice is the debateable thing. Many riders think the 250 is buzzy at 65-75mph and the 15t front sprocket helps with that by lowering the rpms in that speed range. Ie... it's a calmer feeling ride overall.

You have to address yourself to gauge the value and impact on the bike's performance. I lump everything into 2 categories;

Will it help keep me safe - can I decel and accel in a manner that works with my riding
Will it improve performance - subjective to riding style and personal preferences

First off if you're a heavy rider, the 15/42 will suck at the top end. 85-90'ish mph will be your max speed. Will that work for you?
Do you mostly do alot of downtown city riding?
Do you mostly ride highway?
Do you mostly ride twisties for fun?
Do you want more acceleration vs. top end speed (it takes a long distance to see top end speeds on 250's).

I guess... the major question is "why are you considering modifying the gearing?" If you answer this, we can help you in a better way.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

I was looking for more top end with minimized loss to acceleration...

Sadly everything has a price. I ride a bit of everything but use my bike as my daily commuter with 2/3 being highway and a third being city. Sometime on my way home I take the scenic route and run down HWY 1 through Stinson Beach to SF. Realized that I'll just need to make more money and have several bikes for all sorts of my moods...