View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2021, 07:53 AM   #1
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I must be incompetent... stator issues

So I feel like I'm missing the obvious here. I have a low-charge situation on my '05 and I initially thought I had a toasted r/r. When I check for continuity across the three yellow wires and my power and ground wires on my r/r I get OL across everything. My multimeter is working to the best of my knowledge (I get continuity when I touch the leads together anyway). I've been using RMStator's and Roadstercycle's how-to videos to make sure I'm testing these properly and I concluded that the diodes were roached in my r/r.

I happened across a free spare r/r so I figured what the heck, I'll toss it on and see if it makes a difference. I had loaned my multimeter out when the r/r arrived so I just plugged it in, fired up the engine, and sure enough, same low charge. Huh, this r/r could be bad as well but I kinda doubt it. It's more likely I have a roached stator and the diodes in my old r/r are bad as well. When one item goes out, I expect the others to fall too so it didn't surprise me.

I got my multimeter back and I had a few minutes last night. I fired it up and checked the voltage at the 3-wire plug coming right off the stator. Here is where I get confused: according to RMStator's video, I should check the voltage across each phase. So if I assign A, B, and C to the three wires, I should run my test leads to A-B, A-C, B-C, right? When I do this I get no voltage at idle or 5k rpm. If I test A-ground I get 5-6v regardless of rpm. Same for the other two phases. Soooo, I am pretty sure the stator is not producing voltage, but my testing procedure is not as the how-to describes.

That's all I had time for last night, I still want to test my new (used) r/r on the bench but as of right now I am 90% sure that I have an underperforming stator and that is the first problem I need to, um, rectify, no pun intended.

By the way, the battery is a one-year-old Yuasa, fully charged, and maintaining 12.7 volts just fine. I doubt that's an issue.