View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2022, 12:35 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpatton View Post
What do I have to do to swap that new ignition in? Am I correct in what I’ve read about other bikes and I have to drill bolts out?
Yes. I had to drill what was left of the factory break-away bolts under the top triple clamp.

Somehow I did it pretty cleanly for my original lock from the EX250J where the markings had flaked off but basically destroyed the one from my EX250F where I tried to salvage a replacement component (the tube housing with the markings). Though I don’t have a picture of the rest of that one you can see that I had similar trouble with smaller break-away bolts on the top. You wouldn’t have to deal with any of that though… just the two big ones on the bottom that hold the whole thing to the top triple/fork clamp.

This was all many years before I ordered my new lock set but it means the work is done.

The factory break-away bolts leave a conical or dome shaped head that the drill just doesn’t want to stay centered on, which is kind of the point. I still don’t have a drill press so if I had to do it again I’d probably use a metal sleeve or something that fits in the recess for the bolt head, then I’d drill with a bit just small enough to fit through until there is a divot to keep a drill bit from wandering.

Once the bolt heads are drilled off you can grab the threaded parts left behind and remove them with locking pliers (Vise-Grips). There might have been permanent thread-locker (red Loctite) in there because I remember using a butane lighter to get it nice and hot first.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote