View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2022, 09:31 AM   #32
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I had the same locking mechinisum on my honda 90cc back in the late 1960's and 1970's
and what would happen is the washer would sheer off the tab that goes down into the spline and the bent over part for the nut would be unaffected... and it came off frequently
my cure was to take the nut off and flatten the washer and then use a punch to make deep divots in the washer that go into the spline area all the way around the washer
and really bend more metal from the washer into the splines of the sprocket shaft
I then put the nut back on and torqued it and bent 2 or 3 parts of the washer over the nut....... that cured the silly thing coming off.....
in your cases I think I would buy a NEW washer as they do need replacing periodically
and add punch marks or cut the washer with a chisel to make a few new tabs to go into the splines blue lock tight it and then torque it all down and finally bend over the washer for the nut in 2 places one on the flat and then at the corner of that bend so the corner of the nut is captured this is easy with a real sharp chisel as you can cut the fold
which allows that to be done. think over Kill as that is what is needed !
safety wiring is my next choice but that would take a tiny drill and drilling into the splines I think which I don't care for...... alternately you could double nut it if there is enough room on the sprocket shaft.
Bob.......