View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
jackliu239
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Slow acceleration speed after 40mph

I just got this 2006 Ninja 250, so far it only have less than 250 miles on it, I only rode for about 100 miles after the purchase, and this is my first motorcycle. One thing I notice recently is that I can accelerate the bike to 40 mph no problem around the 3-4 gear.

But going from 40mph to 50 is very very hard. Even after I twist the throttle all the way in around the 4th gear, the RPM still goes up very slowly from 6-8, I sometimes have to downshift 1 gears for the RPM to go up to 7-8, then up shift again, but even with all of this. So far I still have not gone more than 50 mph yet. I'm sure if I will eventually get it up to 60+ mph, but I feel like that is going to take a long time to happen.

I don't even want to think how can I ever go to freeways, it will take so long for me to accelerate to 60, I'll be a road hazard.

I am a new rider, so is this normal for 250? And does it have to do with the fact that the bike's engine is still in the break-in period?

Also another thing I notice but might be unrelated, after the RPM goes to more than 7, the sound the engine makes is a bit different, yes it's louder, but I feel like it's a bit more than that, I can't describe it, but the pitch of the sound is much higher as well as the noise level. So when I hear that I always shift gear, I'm afraid it will damage the engine or something.

Last futzed with by jackliu239; August 26th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
jackliu239 is offline   Reply With Quote