Thread: Mental block?
View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2018, 03:27 PM   #26
redonninrf
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 Classic (not the 'R')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post
For some reason I have zero difficulty making left turns even at fairly aggressive (to me anyway) speeds, right turns however are another story I just cannot seem to lean the bike as hard nor turn as sharply or smoothly I am good up to about 30mph then right becomes scary even on roads I know perfectly having driven them in cars 100 times plus. An example is a curve on a particular road I run at 45 ish westbound (left curve) but eastbound (right curve) I drop to near 30. What am I doing wrong? Mental block? Or do these ninjas run better left?
It is quite normal for a person to favor left or right turns, especially when gravity and balance are involved. For example, downhill skiers may find turning left or right easier. The first time I did a skidpad in a car, which is where you basically go around in circles right at the limit before sliding, I found myself going faster CCW (left) that CW. The instructor at the time said it was normal for people to favor one direction over the other.

In your case it seems to be a little bit more difference than usual, but I would not worry about it. As you get miles under your belt it should all come together.

The proximity of guardrails, shoulders, drop-offs, or oncoming traffic combined with anxiety about any of those items can also affect confidence turning left vs. right.

On other factor - in countries where driving is on the right, the same turn is a little tighter going to the right than the left. That's because you're in the inside lane so the radius is smaller. It won't make much difference on corners rated 45 and above, but on corners rated 15 or slower there is a noticeable difference.
redonninrf is offline   Reply With Quote