View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2018, 09:52 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Your state may give paper maps away for free. Mine used to, but not any more. Go find a visitor center on an interstate... that's usually where they're found and you may have to ask for it.

If you have AAA or know someone who does, you can get maps there for free.

"Get lost" rides are fun especially if you prefer to ride solo (I do). I like to do them from time to time... take roads you've never taken before, etc. Sometime after lunch, if you spot something you recognize, just head home. It's easy here in CT because it's impossible to ride more than about 90 minutes in any direction without finding a major bounding landmark (state line, interstate, coastline, etc.).

Re track days I didn't mean actual paying "career," just doing it regularly. The basic skills used on the track are applicable to the street but on the street you're not hanging off, dragging knee, threshold braking etc. What you learn by watching racers is how to ride well at speed. Do not try to exactly emulate what you see on the street... it's too dangerous. The reason is that for much of what you see to make sense, you have to be riding very fast/hard... too fast for safety.

Re maintenance manuals and such... Too many novice mechanics wait until they need to fix a real problem before learning anything about the bike or how to use the tools. The result is often frustration or leaving yourself worse off than when you started.

Wrenching is a hobby in itself. Just taking stuff apart, seeing how it all fits together, figuring out how things work etc. when you're not under pressure can be time well spent.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote