View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #1
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

updating some gear and adding some protection

Hey guys!! So I have been thinking of upgrading the protection in my current line up and hopefully making it a bit easier and versatile for commuting. I have always had a bit less protection in the legs than I would like.

Current gear:
Gauntlet gloves
Leather jacket that connects to mesh overpants
Race boots
helmet of course

SO..my main area of concern is my legs. Frankly the overpants suck for protection albeit better than normal jeans.

Situation. I mostly commute to and from work. That said, I do have a shower at work.

I have considered a one piece suit but I have two issues. One being that I know it is going to get pretty hot and I am already warmer than I like with my current gear this time of year. Secondly, I will probably need a whole second set for the winter(I could get a snowsuit as some of you have suggested last year!) and would also need to worry about leather in the rain. I would also need to add a tailbag as I currently only use a backpack.

Option 2: Get CE rated underwear and kevlar jeans. Downfall is probably not as much protection but A LOT cheaper without really sacrificing safety. I think most would be hard pressed to fault the safety of the combo other than the jeans wouldn't zip to jacket. I do ride the highway into work and travel ~80mph. I do have the one piece rainsuit but it gets VERY HOT. More upside to this option is I could wear the jeans throughout the workday and only need to change into a shirt. I arrive early enough that sweat and heat are not an issue for the ride in to work.

I wish the dainese cruiser leather top and bottom http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...r-d-dry-jacket was a little cheaper as it is the perfect setup.

I would like to move away from A-star as I haven't been pleased with their products but I dont want to switch for a huge financial hit. I could always get some A-star leather pants but still have a rain and heat issue.