View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2023, 05:27 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

What you described on the beginning of your post isn't necessarily related to the air filter , but dirty carburetors ! just letting the bike sit with gas in the carbs over the winter can and will gum them up in a bad way....
for over the winter storage I always use a generous amount of sta-bul 360
fuel stabilizer/preservative ....
if you didn't drain the carbs and make sure the gas was not leaking into the carbs past the vacuum operated petcock ( this was where I had problems the leaking petcock refilled the carbs for me!) and use a fuel stablizer too ! you probably have dirty carburators... and the only way to get them clean again is a major tear down of everything on the carburator and clean it by hand...
and use an ultrasonic cleaner and a soda blaster on the internal lines inside the carbs... replace o rings and re assemble and hope to hell you got it all clean again...... I attempted to clean my carbs 3 times the last time I cleaned them was fairly successful I ran it like that for a summer... but it still wasn't perfect
and I knew it... so I pulled them off and sent them to Gordon , Ducattiman
here at this site.... I know carburators ! I am a Retired motorcycle mechanic... but these carbs are the hardest to clean of any bike I have encountered ...so I opted to the expert and let him do it and I am glad I did !
these carburators will gum up quickly the passage ways are tiny and the filters that are stock are inadequate to keep the dirt out... thus you get crappy running after the first year...
I think adding a better inline filter would help alot and obviously
properly prepairing for the winter storage...
todays fuel does not last that long.... so for my bikes I have been routinely adding Sta-Bul 360 to all the gas on my property....
Years ago
I had a 5 gal. can of gas that I had bought in the spring( no stabilizer added of any kind) , and hadn't used it
till late fall or the first of winter.... I put it in the tractor and it fired up but promptly died... over the next 2 days I found the problem... the gasoline wouldn't even light with a match !!!! I drained the gas tank bought new fresh gas and it fired right up and ran like a top....

with gasoline that deteriates so fast now days it is a problem with small carburetors, the smaller the carb, the tinnier the holes inside and when that gas starts clumping up it will plug up those tiny holes.... then the carb doesn't work any more and is dubbed "Dirty !"
and I really think that is the problem here... not a dirty air filter !
.....good luck !
Bob........