View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

The puzzling demise of my Oil Drain Plug Socket

Right. I know I'm not that gifted with mechanics, some might even say I have two left Hands. However, seening what happened to my poor Ninjette today I can'treally believe this could be of entirely my own wrongdoing.

A few days ago, during a ride, my engine just cut out right there in the middle of the street, no warning. I pull over, check that I didn't accidentally tap the cutoff, fuel was ok. So I powercycle it and try to start - nothing. The dash lights up but pressing the starter has no effect.
I check the oil level - seemed good at the time. Let it sit for a minute, then try starting again, and voila, the bike is running. Everything feels right, maybe the clutch a little vague under the foot but might be the imagination.

Today, I do a more thourough check on what might have happened. I saw that when the engine has been running for a short time, the oil level seems to drop rather low, so might as well do an oil change. The first one on this bike, the previous were done by the shop because of the warranty.

Loosening the drain screw and the filter cover requires some effort as usual, but finally they're off, I drain the oil and change the filter. Now I put back in the drain plug, but immediately sense something is wrong - there is no "resistance" anymore, the plug just turns around and around.

And when I check, I see that in the oil drain bucket there is a large metallic object - turns out this is half of my drain plug socket!

The socket must have split - perhaps already earlier (which might explain the suddenly low oil level, but I didn't see any oil spills), perhaps when loosening the plug, or even mybe when putting it back in? (did use a torque wrench, double-checked settings and used on the filter pan previously...)

Now I realize I haven't always taken care of the bike, have ridden in winter and with salt on the roads. However, I cannot explain how this might have happened at all. The bike is from 2010, so should be still in decent condition.

If i'd had used the torque wrench wrong, I would understand a split thread. But this?

I'm stumped, I really am. Naturally I don't want to see the fault with me but this I can't see where I might have f'ed it up...

Anyways, it doesn't seem to be the endof the world. The socket assembly looks like it can be detached from the engine and replaced, so that might make an interesting project. And in the meantime, I have a perfect excuse to get that SV650S for my riding needs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drainplug.jpg (68.7 KB, 44 views)
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote