View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2019, 12:08 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I've put a zillion miles on a 1973 Dodge B200, and currently drive a 1984 150. The 200 series is much better for motorcycle hauling since it's a 3/4 ton van. I put extra springs on my 150 so it doesn't sag excessively with two motorcycles in it. The 300 series, assuming its the 1-ton version, is overkill for hauling motorcycles and is probably more expensive to buy on the used market. I have nothing against Chevy vans and would get one if it came along at the right price, but with my 45 years of driving Dodge vans I know of nothing unreliable about them.

I'd get the Maxivan size if it were me, but I had the short version of the B200 127" wheelbase and it was fine. The extra 18" of the maxi would be nice, but fitting in tight places might be less convenient if you don't like big vehicles. Interestingly, the maxivan is still slightly shorter than the old "full sized cars".

The really short 150 I'm driving now still holds two bikes, but the front tire of my H2 is against the driver's seat. I miss the old B200.

I'm a huge fan of full sized vans for motorcycle carrying. They're out of the weather and road dirt, and somewhat away from prying eyes. To load motorcycles I use three 2x10s, each with a little angle bracket to hook over the rear bumper. The middle one is for the bike tires and the outer two are for my feet. Having someone to push helps, but I've loaded my old H2 alone many times by slowly driving it up the ramp.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote