View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Link to original page on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowuff View Post
I have a blue 07 and notice they like my bike more then my wife's red 07. I believe this is because blue is closer to and reflects more ultraviolet light then most other bike colors. Most flowers are very bright in ultraviolet, even though they are not blue in visible light.

EDIT: Just found this at: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/ahb/inf2.html

Honey bees and people do not see eye to eye. Although honey bees perceive a fairly broad color range, they can only differentiate between six major categories of color, including yellow, blue-green, blue, violet, ultraviolet, and also a color known as "bee's purple," a mixture of yellow and ultraviolet. Bees can not see red. Differentiation is not equally good throughout the range and is best in the blue-green, violet, and bee's purple colors.

So, they can't see my wife's red bike, but CAN see my blue bike...
Yeah... these little buggers were always aggressively checking out every corner of the tank and fairings so they must have thought that it was some kind of food source by the color alone. I read about their diet an behavior changing later in the year, hence them behaving indifferently toward it earlier in the year, but I think they become more carnivorous then. Increased attraction to this "flowery" color when they should be eschewing nectar is just strange.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote