View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2018, 07:33 AM   #1
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Gas coming out on SSR threaded keyless gas cap.

Hello, some months ago I installed a SSR threaded keyless gas cap on my N300.
From the beginning I saw that the cap wasn't sealed really tight and when I filled up the tank to the very top, I could see a little bit of gas coming out. I kept the cap anyways. I use the bike street and track.

Yesterday, at the track, the day was really hot and the bike had been seating on the sun for a while before my first session.
I got into the track with a full tank (really to the top). At the second lap, when breaking off the long straight, the gas started to spray off the gas tank to the point that there were gas all over the tank, the cluster and I even felt it on my chin.
I don't know if the gas was coming out through the threads of the cap or from the seal between the 'frame' of the cap and the gas tank.

I got off the track, cleaned the bike and myself, took some gas out of the tank and came back to riding. No more problems after that.
so from now on, I won't fill it up that much.

Anyways, my questions are: has anyone has this problem with threaded keyless caps? Should I put some kind of sealer on the cap? Which one?

On the website, SSR sells the cap as suitable for the N250 and N300 as well. Maybe it's a desing for the N250 that doesn't fit the N300 that well?

Thanks for any comments.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote