View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2021, 10:06 PM   #1
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

DIY Leather Repair

I have a pair of AGVSport Willow leather pants I’ve had since 2011 when I started riding. Over the years, the Velcro on the waist closure began tearing away from the leather strap. I meant to send it off to get repaired, but our “local” leather repair lady has crossed the pond for a indefinite amount of time. My lady acquired a sewing machine a couple weeks ago and the idea of fixing my pants myself was born. Things I’ve learned so far? I recommend buying some scrap leather to practice. You need an appropriate needle and thread. In this case I used a 90/14 needle and bonded nylon thread acquired from Hobby Lobby. I also found the needed 1” hook and loop tape there. Learn the process on the scrap before working on your gear. Other important things... read the instructions and watch videos on the sewing machine if available. Even when you think you have it right, you may not. Also, sticky hook and loop tape isn’t going to work with the sewing machine. I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the adhesive so the stitching would run normal without it gumming up. My repair isn’t as pretty as factory, but it’ll work for my first attempt. I’ll still need to look to a professional to reattach the strap to the pants as the machine we have can’t handle doubled up leather.

If you have the option to learn and DIY, it’s worth a shot. If it’s your only gear, it may not be worth a mistake. In my case, they are a decade old and I have other gear to choose from. I’m looking forward to a few more years in this two piece suit.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.