View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2023, 03:50 AM   #3
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm sorry you and your 250 got hurt. It sounds like it's time to rethink your plans, get some real gear and some riding skills before going for the rolling burnouts. I don't remember if you said before... have you ridden much? Have you taken a basic riding skills course?
I've been on 2 wheeled powersports since I was about 8 years old. Mainly dirt bikes and gas scooters, those things are fun.

Out of all the times I've ridden and wiped out, this is the worst, and the mechanism in which it happened is definitely my weakness. I've flipped a dr250 frontward, uphill, with the same motion of my hand, but that was a little under a decade ago. I think it's because I'm coming from not riding for months and the last thing I've touched was a bicycle, and they almost never have good brakes...haha.

The advice, I can take some of it. Wiping out is part of learning the expertise if you have common sense. I would like a riding course but I don't have the time or money. I'm sure I'll get more utility from caging the bike frame and doing low speed maneuvers with no fear of destroying the bike. I never push things at speed with a road bike as the variables are far too dangerous, such as mailboxes, guardrails, other cars, etc. A dirt bike is fun because you can lowside in boxers doing 45 on a grassy track and get right back up and ripping again. I don't have a number for how many times I've done that, but it's a lot, mainly on a XR100, topped out, sometimes on a kx100, and rarely on the dr250, that bike feels as heavy as the XL600.

My analysis of the incident leads me to believe I wiped out from

14 year old tires fully weather checked 360degrees around
20 degrees out
Rusty and freezing cold extremities, even while wearing light welding gloves
Heavy braking during leaning

When I got home I was so cold I could barely manipulate my clothes off

I also realize I completely forgot about one of the most important rules: no braking while turning

From now on, I'm only wearing proper gear, which includes thick leather welding gloves up to my forearm that keep me warm and able to operate my fingers more finely. I can't promise that I won't attempt more crazy stuff, that's what keeps me going, but I'll be more careful next time for sure. I've never had a serious injury in my entire life and look forward to that being the case until I'm really old and dead.

Last futzed with by IndestructibleNinja; February 6th, 2023 at 03:51 AM. Reason: forgot displacement of my bikes!
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote