View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2023, 11:57 AM   #149
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Project coming along nicely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punishum808 View Post
When i began racing in 1985 if u told me that i would have a case of titanium fasteners i would have ������ because back in those days it was Un-Obtanium due to costs and unavailability.
The CASE weighs more.
So till next time keep it off the street and 'Speed Safely' ALoooooHA, Book UM Danno.
heh, heh... back then, primary consumer of Titanium in U.S. was military. Products were made with mil-spec certifications* needed, so costs was exorbitant. Meanwhile, in USSR, anyone can walk into hardware store and buy Titanium shovels and fasteners!!! It's one of most abundant ores on planet! Although most of it is used to make white paint pigment.

I was managing bicycle-shoppe back then and was quite excited about relaxation of Cold War and many military suppliers branched out to private-sector with their titanium products. Suddenly titanium bike frames because much more reasonably priced!

* While at university in Santa Barbara, I was involved with firm contracted to provide picnic benches to Vandenberg AFB. They were to be deployed on hillside to watch missile launches, so had to be tested and certified for:

- altitude
- weather-resistance: sun-exposure, fog/dew, rain
- longevity: materials, prep and coatings guaranteed for 20-yr lifespan

In end each bench was billed at $45K apiece! They were off-the-shelf items from local home-improvement centre. But due to all testing and certifications involved: atmospheric chambers had to be built, jigs, numerous instrumentation and datalogging equipment, it drove amoritised price per item through roof! And to cover costs of 20-yr warranty.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote