View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yep, sure does make sense. I can toss you my take on that issue.

You want to leave a considerable margin of error and space between you an oncoming traffic from the other lane because if you have enough lean and are close enough to the double yellow, your upper body/head can actually be in the other lane.

The way I see it is, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". So how do I mostly prevent it? First, while riding on the street, I nearly always take a delayed apex (late turn in) approach and line. This will help maximize you vision through the corner, giving you more time to adjust entry speed and line, especially if you need to factor for oncoming traffic. If you can adjust your line, you can prevent being close to oncoming traffic. Problem "mostly" solved. Second, Yea, I said mostly.... Fact of the matter is, you should be going slow enough that in that event, you could confidently make a steering correction to get you out of the danger zone. Confidently being the keyword here.

And think about this....
It's very common for riders to turn in to early? Do you do that? Well, cagers do it to. And where does that put the car in relation to a rider apexing close to the double yellow? Yep... to d*mn close imho. This is covered very well in the Twist of the Wrist II movie. If you get the chance to watch it, do it.

So 2 things. Do you sometimes feel you enter a corner to early and do you think a delayed apex will help address your concern?

Great question by the way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote