Old August 16th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #66
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
so I have been reading the FSM, seems straight forward, let me see if i have this right

I ordered that case on ebay, you guys said it looked like it still has the bearings. So I wont have to worry about incorrect size bearings for that case.

I remove the top end, after I remove the head I pull the pistons off, replacing the snap rings. Then I remove the crank with the rods still attached.

Once I remove the 20 case bolts and split the case. Since I will be getting that matched case, I should literally just transplant all of my internals over to the new case.

When I spoke with my local mechanic, he was going to rebuild it, but wanted all new bearings and stuff because of tolerances. That was going to cost me $900 or so to do that.

This is a track bike, I ride 1 track day per month right now. So my main concern is just not starving the motor of oil or screwing it up so badly that I grenade the motor and hurt myself.

Do I have this about right?
Pretty much. Except, you should still plastigauge the bearings in the new case against your crankshaft to make sure clearances are proper. It probably wouldn't hurt to lightly polish your crankshaft too since it will be different bearings.

I would take pics of the bearing shells in the case and post them here so people who know what they're looking at can tell you if they're any good or not. Or have someone local to you that knows have a look see before reassembly.

Other than those above items, it's going to be plug and play!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote