Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #54
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yes Jim, adding a link to an existing chain. The easiest and cheapest fix would be to just pop another master link on the chain. BAM! instant 107 links, giving some extra length to slide the tire back some. It fixes the rubbing problem by adding another another risk to the chain. Buying a new chain and cutting it to 107 links would be a less risk option. But depending on the cost of a new chain vs a new tire well.... ya know, they both blow a $100 dollar bill to bits. :\

And then there is the preference of many riders who prefer to swap chains and sprockets together, so they wear together for maximum longevity.

Full disclosure: I have seen a rider at the track add a second master link to fit a 190 on his bike. He said he would replace it when he got home but it worked fine for the rest of the day. The extra link was rivet style, perhaps the fear of 2 master links comes from running to clip style links? imho, I don't like the risk of even one clip style, so only rivet style go on my bikes but that is just me and how I do things. I lost the clip (common issue) on my last clip style master link and finally said "never again."
It's a little different with rivet style links, I still wouldn't run a double master link due to increased risk but it is much better than running 2 clip style master links for sure. The chain will most definitely not last as long if it is set up this way as having an extra weak spot is far from ideal. Rivets, properly installed, are far more secure

I'd swap the rear sprocket out for a smaller one temporarily if $$$ was a major concern. No way I'd feel safe on a dragging tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
*Update 2*
got up to 85 ish 90
https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t43.179...50&oe=57A8B2D1

I cant find out how to download this to upload it to youtube because I posted it to facebook and my phone didnt save it. But As you can see its gotten slightly worse, not horrible though. I did notice it melted to rubber to cover the very end of y treads. I can just carelfully peel it off, i did do it with one, but not sure if thats safe. I went to a different shop to see if they can move it back for me a few mm, but they want to charge me 88 an hour... they said it would take about an hour -_-. I dont know if I am confident enought to do it on my own, but looking at this video, doesnt it look like my tire is slightly out of allinement anyway/
video didn't work but if it's heating up that much that's very bad given the conditions. There comes a point where you have to think of the value of your safety. Any crash will cost more than $88, and on top of that you are running the risk of personal injury. At this point I would install a different rear tire, or at a minimum adjust the bike farther back via sprocket change, tightening the chain a hair if it's loose or replacing the chain with a longer one. Ideally a new tire would be in the works, these things happen.

The ideal scenario is to replace the tire and possibly sell the current one as a takeoff to someone who has a bike it will properly fit. It is a shame you are not closer to me or I would provide you with one of my rear tire takeoffs free of charge (wouldn't have too much life left but it would have enough for you to have time to budget a new one)