View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2021, 04:17 PM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

ok clearance issue was the part that projects down on the chain/sprocket cover
that goes IN front of the chain on the sprocket... I put the sprocket cover in the vice with a block of wood to help protect the fragile aluminum, and then cut off the 1" or so protrusion that goes down and resides IN front of the sprocket.
I just cut it off flush with the bolt mating surface, nothing fancy, then cleaned it up with a file.... then the cover would go on fine. I then fired it up and spun the rear wheel with it's power and I could hear no rubbing or scraping at all.
so it's good to go.
.... I also started the ninja when it was still fairly cold to see if it would run on 2 cylinders at idle and it did so I will leave the airscrew adjustment as it is for now. ( previously it would drop to 1 cylinder when it was cold at idle , turning the airscrew out just a little bit cured that )
... I'll give it a test run without the fairings on it just to make sure everything is working right. there is a slight sogg.... just off idle that I don't like and I think that may well be jetting as it has an aftermarket exhaust pipe on it.
carburetor synchronization seams to be right on but I have no way to check it...just a carb sync system I made up a few years back to set the XS650's carbs..... it may well work on the Ninja but I haven't tried it yet....
it's a "oil in the line" type vacuum adjuster to get the vacuum adjusted accurately... this type of synchronization setup is tricky to use , you can suck out the oil into the engine if you are heavy handed !...not a good thing.
so you have to remember not to blip the throttle when using it...
... I have pictures and a diagram somewhere if anyone wants to make one up
it should work on any 2 cylinder engine with vacuum lines that go into the throat of the carburetor....
SO YAH ! I did change the final gearing... I now have a 16 tooth front sprocket and a 43 tooth sprocket in the rear... it should be like night and day difference to what it was... but I haven't ridden it yet....... SOON I WILL!
Bob....