View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2021, 06:54 PM   #29
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL... well I hope you have small hands because that is what it takes to work on one of these little monsters !
Back in the late 60's early 70's clearance really wasn't much of an issue but then the manufacturers started adding things like you have to remove the engine to adjust the valves...( a Honda CB400 I believe) it didn't take long and everyone was doing it, Yamaha's introduction of the valve Shim was designed strictly to put the Small shop guys out of business as it took $20,000 dollars
of shims for a shop just so you could adjust valves on the Yamaha's !
..I think that came out in the early 1980's I could see the hand righting on the wall when that happened and started looking for another line of work.
this 2012 Ninja is the first Valve Shim bike I've ever owned before this I have shunned bikes like they were a pleg that had valve shims. Yes the shims were actually a marvel at lightening the valve train, but making it where the home owner could not adjust valves was a really dirty trick.... but it worked...in my mind they should be restricted to track bikes only ....but all car manufacturers have done the same as well , there are several things on this 1998 Honda CRV we own that I will not attempt to do.
I don't have the special tools or the inclination to fight built in obsolescence.
Times have changed ! some things good, but most things bad.
I gott'a come up with a better parking arrangement for my bikes... the way it is now I park along the side of the CRV... but I have to man handle the bike to turn it around so I can get out again. that little monster is heavy for it's size ! ....i would like to have a drive through arrangement like I had at the Ranch ..but I don't have that kind of room here, the best I think I can manage is nose in and back out in a turn then I can go forward again...
maybe I can just circle the CRV and then park ? LOL....
that just might work !
later !
Bob........