View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2021, 09:20 PM   #36
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well I went ahead and changed the front sprocket to a 16 tooth and the rear sprocket to a 43 tooth.... the end results is cruse at 70mph at 8,000 RPM !
but where it really excels is spreading out the lower gears I no longer have to shift shift and shift just to get to 30mph ...That is silly !
I haven't ridden it enough to give a MPH for the gears yet, but I am guessing at 1st it's about 15 to 20mph 2nd around 30 and so on of course that is using the RPM....not lugging it... it might be higher than that I don't really know, just a guess.
so the addition of the taller gearing in the final drive for me is a real good thing ! I like it much better now....
there isn't as much lugging it to get it going as I thought there would be by any means.... it just acts like that is what it was made for !
so all in all it was a big win !
I recommend the 16 tooth on front ! I did have to cut the chainguard where it does not show, on the inside of it to get it to clear the sprocket better
I just cut off about 3"~4" of the thin plate of the chain guard that was directly in front of the sprocket.... I cut it flush with the bolt protrusions in the chain guard then dressed it with a file... and put it on and it went right on with no problems, before the cutting it would NOT go on at all.
so it's Not seen, and an easy fix , you can fo it with a hack saw if you want.
I used a reciprocating saw because I am lazy ! LOL
of note.... when I put the chain guard in the vice to hold it for the cutting I did so by using blocks of wood so I wouldn't mar the finish or crush the chainguard... then I barely tightened down the vice... just enough to hold it.
no more.... or it will crush that flemzy thing !
Bob.......